Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Hand Dyed Wool

Today I had my first attempt at using vegetables to dye wool. I boiled some purple cabbage which created a lovely light pink . When I let it boil for half an hour it turned my second batch a lovely lilac. When I added some baking powder it turned into a teal colour.
The first batch used vinegar to set the dye but it was too smelly so  I tried Cream of Tarter but that turned the teal back into lilac. So clearly a few more trials. I was such fun showing the girls and seeing all the jars lined up on the window sill. I dried them on the oil heater but will try them in the sun tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment